Born in New Zealand in 1977 Ben moved to Melbourne in 2002. He worked with chefs David Thompson and Andrew McConnell before becoming head chef at Attica (2005). Originally obsessed with the detail and balance of Thai food, Ben began to develop a style at Attica that reflected his rural upbringing and a fascination with indigenous ingredients. He made it his mission to learn about the culture and cuisine of indigenous Australians. His championing of native ingredients in a fine dining setting has been highly influential on the Australian dining landscape. Attica started slowly but momentum built, the restaurant began to attract both crowds and accolades. The success made Ben aware of the long hours and often unhealthy working environments chefs are exposed to and the impact on physical and mental health. He’s implemented changes in his kitchen and is outspoken on the issue. In 2015 Ben became the sole owner of Attica.
- Food On The Edge Announces Four Co-Curators for 2020 Symposium
- Acclaimed Swedish Chef Magnus Nilsson Returns for Food On The Edge 2020
- Super Early Bird Tickets for Food On The Edge 2020 Available until 31st December
- Galway Bay Brewery Create A Collaborative Brew to Celebrate the Food On The Edge Theme of Migration
- The Food On The Edge 2019 Schedule is Officially Unveiled at Programme Launch in the Druid Theatre on Culture Night