Born in New Zealand in 1977 Ben moved to Melbourne in 2002. He worked with chefs David Thompson and Andrew McConnell before becoming head chef at Attica (2005). Originally obsessed with the detail and balance of Thai food, Ben began to develop a style at Attica that reflected his rural upbringing and a fascination with indigenous ingredients. He made it his mission to learn about the culture and cuisine of indigenous Australians. His championing of native ingredients in a fine dining setting has been highly influential on the Australian dining landscape. Attica started slowly but momentum built, the restaurant began to attract both crowds and accolades. The success made Ben aware of the long hours and often unhealthy working environments chefs are exposed to and the impact on physical and mental health. He’s implemented changes in his kitchen and is outspoken on the issue. In 2015 Ben became the sole owner of Attica.
- Food On The Edge 2019 to be hosted in Galway as First Round of Confirmed Speakers are Announced | #FOTE2019
- FOTE2018 Programme Launch
- Early Bird Ticket Rate for Food On The Edge 2018 Closing Soon
- Top Irish Chefs To Come Together For The National Launch of #FOTE2018
- Food On The Edge 2018 Attracts Best Chefs in the World as First Round of Speakers is Announced – #FOTE2018